Friday, May 21, 2010

Side-effect of reading

Since I was a kid, I heard so many times people said that someone should read a lot so they can be smart. I did (and am still doing it foolishly… :p)… but never people warn me about the side effect of reading. I just realized it later that none of the smarter I am, I feel robbed from the so-called entertainment.

In times I need my piece of mind to just stop working and have fun…
But ….‘NOOOOO’…

I’ve just realized that I can’t watch ‘Hollywood’ movies without thinking about ‘Americanization’, that America will always win anyway; …without thinking about ‘Postcolonialism’, that white men will always be the winner and the saviour … (take examples of ‘Avatar’, ‘Knowing’, ‘2012’, ‘Rambo’, ‘Star Wars’, ‘Superman’) … .

I can’t watch news without seeing the unfair treatment to the ‘colored people’, without thinking about the prejudices of the west toward the east….

And I can’t even watch ‘MALE STRIPERS’ performances without thinking about ‘the objectification of the body’, let alone see women in ads and ‘real women’ being objectified in and by the media.

So what is left for me …???
Listening to the music … (and opt for love songs)… which is in a way are more universal … although still I feel robbed as mostly I am listening to lyrics written in English …

Ps. Last week I watched ‘Enemy at the Gates’ a true story of a Soviet sniper in WW 2, it is actually a very good movie… but how good it will be if all the characters (they are Russians and Germans, none of them are British or American) talk in English??? It felt so fake …

No comments: